We all want to be our best selves, but sometimes actually accomplishing it can seem daunting, right? Where do you even start? As a nanny for two wonderful but energetic children under the age of five, and a military spouse to boot I always struggle to maintain my calm throughout the day, and keeping my energy centered so to speak. Over time however I have found a few basic things that you can do to start your day on the right foot!
If you had asked me a year ago what my morning routine was, it would have been totally different than what it is now! I had just moved to Hawaii and got married to my husband Rey! I was 3,000 miles from home, had gone from working three jobs to none, and unlike before I had no family or friends to support me through this gigantic change in my life. To say the least I was extremely depressed and often felt like I had no purpose. About two months into my move to Hawaii I woke up one day and just knew I needed a change, and would do whatever I could to get back to the happy girl I used to be. The changes were small at first, but over time they helped me find a routine that worked. I was waking up excited for the day, and that was a welcomed change from before. A little effort goes a long ways when it comes to your personal happiness.
And it all starts with a glass of water!
Feel free to pick and choose from this list to find what best suits you and your lifestyle, this list is here to help and inspire you to start your day off right!
Wake up with the sunshine!
- If Possible wake up to a beautiful sunrise streaming through your window rather than an alarm clock! Studies show that alarm clocks, unlike gradually waking up with the sun, can disrupt your circadian rhythm. If you don’t have the luxury of waiting for the sun the I recommend looking into Wake Up Lights or Sunrise Alarms.
Grab a glass of water to wake up and hydrate the body!
- There is nothing your body will appreciate more than a cool glass of water right when you wake up. At first an entire glass might be hard to get down, I won’t lie, if your body isn’t use to it. Within a couple days though you will wake up and crave a cool glass of water, I promise! I like prepping a reusable water bottle with cut lemons, mint, and cucumber the night before, its so yummy and it gives the water a chance to absorb all the flavors of whatever you decide to add to your drink!
Stretch and meditate! Visualize your dreams!
- I always take a moment after waking up to collect my thoughts and picture what I want my day to be like. Do I have a crazy schedule today and need some positive energy to get through? Or is it my day off and my goal is to write lots of awesome content? Whatever it happens to be that morning that you need visualize it! You’ll be astonished by the impact positive thinking will have on your life!
Find a skincare routine that works and follow through!
- I could be fifteen minutes behind schedule of fifty, it doesn’t matter to me. I never skip out on my skin! Maybe its just because my mom was a licensed cosmetologist and salon owner for over a decade but she drilled it into my head that I have to take care of my skin, and I have! I wash my face with an alcohol free cleanser, apply my Thayers Witch Hazel Toner, pat on whatever serums I am using at the time, and then gently rub a facial moisturizer onto my face. It takes me maybe 5 minutes top so there’s no reason to skip out on this super important step!
Dress for Success, whether at work or home!
- Wake up, Dress up, Show up! That’s the mantra my dad taught me and its what I repeat over and over in my head when I’m having one of my “lazy mornings”! Whether I am going to work or just lounging around the house I always make an effort even if it just means changing out of my pajamas into a pair of leggings and top. I don’t know about you but I always feel like more of a woman when I have made an effort to look nice!
Plan your day out in a calendar or diary!
- I honestly own at least 15 journals/day-planners. Its like this weird obsession with trying to plan out every aspect of my life haha! I blame it on my type A personality, but my husband just tells me I’m a control freak. There is just something so relaxing about knowing what to expect from your day, at least for me anyways! It always makes every aspect of my day just run so much smoother and gives me an opportunity to make a list of things I want to accomplish.
- If you’re someone who always wants to exercise but by the end of the day you are too tired adding in a workout to your morning routine is a total game changer. I for one get lazier and lazier as the day goes on so working out in the A.M. is my only option if I want to get in my 30 minutes of exercise. Not to mention all the cute Instagram pics you can take at the gym or of that special view on your morning run!
Don’t skip out on the most important meal of the day!
- I’m a breakfast kind of gal! I swear I haven’t skipped breakfast since my middle school days. I just can’t function like a normal human being without getting some food in my tummy, and I always feel like my brain functions so much better. Not to mention it curbs those mid-morning cravings, which means fewer calories consumed during the day! There is a reason they always say its the most important meal of the day!
Feel free to pick and choose from this list to find what best suits you and your lifestyle, this list is here to help and inspire you to start your day off right! Whatever you guys choose to do with your mornings I hope that you remember self care is important to maintaining your personal happiness!